Top 10 Most Populous Cities & Metros in America
The list of the top 10 city populations is an often-discussed topic among many of the people I know. Since the 2010 Census figures were released recently, I figured I would post the updated lists of top cities and metros here. These graphics are directly from a US Census Bureau fact sheet.
Top 10 Cities:
- It still impresses me that Phoenix, San Antonio and San Diego have grown as large as they are (over 1.3 million).
- I am surprised that San Jose is still less than one million.
- Houston may overtake Chicago as the country’s 3rd largest city by the 2020 Census if these trends continue.
- What is going on in San Antonio? With a 16% jump, they must have annexed another county!
Top 10 Metro Areas:
- Philadelphia may be at the bottom of the list, just above Boston, by the 2020 Census.
- I find it odd that New York and Los Angeles have such large individual metros covering large regions with other primary cities, but the San Francisco Bay area is split into three metros, none of which are listed here.
I plan to post some other observations as separate posts over the next few weeks.